This week in regional energy news …
- The State of Maine issued awards to two bidders, Summit Natural Gas of Maine and Maine Natural Gas, who bid to serve state facilities. Summit Natural Gas also recently signed two Maine hospitals as customers.
- The Aroostook Medical Center and Cary Medical Center each announced an intention to convert to compressed natural gas, or CNG.
- The town of Lincoln is considering granting tax breaks to the Lincoln pulp mill for a gas pipeline to serve the mill.
- The closure of the Vermont Yankee nuclear plant highlights New England’s growing dependence on natural gas.
- At a recent conference of the New England Governors and Eastern Canadian Premiers, Maine Gov. Paul LePage expressed his support for a proposed east-west pipeline in Canada.
- A recently concluded Berkeley Lab study has found no statistically significant effects on home values as a result of wind project installations.